Dental Hygiene and Preventive Care
We make sure that you receive the highest level of service and ensure that our dental work is of the highest quality. To ensure that you maintain great oral health, this level of quality needs to extend into your personal oral hygiene routine. Dental hygiene focuses on the preventive aspect of oral health care. Our three hygienists (all graduates of the Wichita State University dental hygiene program) will provide you with everything necessary to help maintain or improve your oral health.
Scheduling Regular Appointments
Periodic cleanings keep your teeth and their supporting structures (gum tissue and underlying bone) in optimal health. Regularly scheduled appointments also allow the dentist to detect any problems early. These appointments should be scheduled every 3-6 months. Failure to maintain proper oral hygiene or to properly schedule continuing care can lead to more problems down the road that can be painful and expensive.
What to Expect at a Dental Hygiene Appointment
- Comprehensive medical history
- Necessary radiographs to assess your oral health
- Dental exam including oral cancer screening
- Periodontal probing and charting to measure gum tissue attachment
- Scaling using hand or mechanical instruments to remove soft & hard deposits (plaque & tartar) that can irritate the gums
- Possible periodontal scaling & root planing to remove plaque & tartar between the gumline and smoothing of root surfaces to make it more difficult for deposits to adhere to the surfaces
- Polishing to remove surfaces stains
- Possible fluoride treatment to strengthen teeth
- Possible pit & fissure sealants to seal grooves & prevent tooth decay
- Oral hygiene education & homecare regimen instruction
- Scheduling of continuing care appointments